Tuesday, May 22, 2007

MIA

“Miss In Action”
Brian Reid
May 20, 2007

In WW-1, there were about 53,000 Canadians soldiers presumed killed or Missing in Action.

In WW-2, the entire British Commonwealth estimated that 580,000 soldiers were MIA.

And, even though the Canadian Military never officially participated in the Via Nam War effort, it is estimated that between 5 & 50,000 Canadians, crossed the border, and enlisted as US citizens. Officially, between 110 and 145 Canadians were killed, with 7 being listed as MIA (in a war, that they never participated in).

MIA, Missing In Action, Missing.

When a soldier is listed as MIA, it means that (officially), no one knows where they are, or what happen to them. As far as everyone is concerned, they have simply vanished. No one can find them, or even knows where to start looking.

That’s MIA, Missing In Action, Missing.

How many soldiers, from all the wars and conflicts this world has ever had, how many soldiers do you think are still listed as Missing In Action?

How many people do you think go MIA, in every day life, without anyone every noticing?

How many people, do you think, go MIA, from our churches, every Sunday morning?

Why do people go missing or astray? How do people loose their interest in church? What do you think breaks down those relationships, we have with our church family – and with God?

And, how do you think those, that go MIA, feel?
Lost, lonely and unfulfilled?


Even though, last Sunday, I was somewhere else, doing something that was very meaningful to me, and very important in my life; I felt lost, not being here with you, I felt lonely - not being here with you, and I felt unfulfilled – as I knew I missed, something special.

But, I can’t be in two places at once, and for all intent and purposes, I was Missing In Action.

Some people can go MIA, and no one ever notices. Some people can go MIA, and no one says a thing. And, some people can go MIA, and no one really cares. How sad!

Others, can go MIA, and it is noticed. Others can go MIA, and people are looking all around. Others can go MIA, and everything comes to a stops.


What would it be like, if only 1 person went MIA, from your life? What would it be like, if only 1 person went MIA, from your home? What would it be like, if only 1 person went MIA, from this church?

We already know how that feels, for Winnie, Ruby and Eleanor all are Missing – from this church. Nothing is the same anymore. There is a void, which needs to be filled. There is a longing, which needs attention. There is a sense of being lost, lonely and unfulfilled.

The main message of today’s scripture, is that God is omnipresent. He is present, everywhere, all at the same time. I chose these scriptures because when we are feeling like we are missing something or someone, and we are feeling lost, alone and unfulfilled; these scriptures remind us, that no matter where we are, what we do, or how we feel, – God is there also, comforting us.

In Romans 8, we find evidence of God’s comforting presence.

V. 31; “If God is for us, who can ever be against us?”
V. 35; “Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love?”
V. 38; “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today, nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell, can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above, or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God, that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
These words re-affirm God’s profound love for His people, and clearly highlights His Holy presence – with us. No matter what happens to us, no matter where we are - we can never be separated from His presence.

Even when we go MIA, His love and Holy Spirit dwells within us, and no amount of suffering, and no amount of distance, and traveling from our home church can separate, drain or destroy His awesome presence – in our lives.

Psalm 118:5-6;
“In my distress, I prayed to the Lord, and the Lord answered me and rescued me. The Lord is for me, so I will not be afraid. What can mere morals do to me?”

Each and every day, in each and every situation, close to home, or far from safety, we must put trust and confidence in someone. Who will you put your trust in?

Let me remind you..
“If God is for us, who can be against us?”
“Nothing can separate us from the love of God…”
“What can mere morals do?”
“In Christ alone, my hope is found.”

Are you willing to trust God to guide you here on earth, and (finally) to your eternal destination? How futile it is to trust anything or anyone, but God.



Isaiah 50: 4-8;
“The Sovereign Lord has given me his words of wisdom, so that I know how to comfort the weary. Morning by morning he wakens me and opens my understanding to his will.

The Sovereign Lord has spoken to me, and I have listened. I have not rebelled or turned away. I offered my back to those who beat me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard. I did not hide my face from mockery and spitting.

Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore, I have set my face like a stone, determined to do his will. And I know, that I will not be put to shame. He who gives me justice is near. Who will dare to bring charges against me now? Where are my accusers? Let them appear!

See, the Sovereign Lord is on my side!”


No matter what suffering and persecution you go through, the Sovereign Lord is (always) on your side! Because of God’s continued presence, we have hope against, and we do not fear those, who persecute us. Hope, found in the scriptures, fight that sense of being lost, feeling alone and unfulfilled. For there is hope, in His presence. x2



Psalm 110:4 & 5, clearly tell, of God’s commitment to us:
“The Lord has taken an oath and will not break his vow.”
“The Lord stands at your right hand to protect you.”

Nothing can be any more straightforward or clearer than that!

“The Lord has taken an oath and will not break his vow.”
“The Lord stands at your right hand to protect you.”

Despite everything that this world will throw at you, take heart and have courage, you are never lost – for God knows where you are, at all times. Take heart and have courage, you are never alone – for Christ is never far from you. Take heart and have courage, you need never feel unfulfilled – as God’s Holy Spirit dwells within you. God will never leave you, nor forsake you!

In John 16:
Jesus asked His disciples this, on the verge of His departure; “Do you finally believe? But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when you will be scattered, each one going his own way, leaving me alone. Yet, I am not alone because the Father is with me. I have told you all this, so that you may have peace in me.”

Yet, I am not alone because the Father is with me.

And then in John 14:27, Jesus says;
“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give, is a gift the world cannot give.
So, don’t be troubled or afraid.” x2

Our highlighted scripture, tell us many things about God’s presence. Let me remind you…

“I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence! If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there.

If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me.

I could ask the darkness to hide me, and the light around me to become night - but even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are the same to you.

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.

You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.

How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand!

And, when I wake up, you are still with me!”


No matter where we venture, travel or trek, God’s presence is felt; in Heaven or Sheol, in the morning and in the farthest oceans – He will guide, and support us.

Not even the darkness can hide us from His presence and light; for God dwells in the darkness and it becomes light.

God knows the very being of our souls, for He created us – so wonderfully complex. He knit us together and formed us, in a most delicate way. Our days were recorded in the Book of Life, and every moment of our lives were laid out before the earth was ever created.

God loves us, has always loved us, and will continue to love us – His people, His children. We are highly valued by God and of great importance, we are rare and unique to Him, much loved, treated with care and compassion, and His affection for us is immeasurable.

And He cares for us enough, He is concerned about us enough, He is worried about us enough to send His very best. He sent His Son Jesus to die for our sins – so we would not have to. He sends the Holy Spirit to dwell within us, so that we might feel His presence always. And, He, Himself makes His presence known to us, by revealing Himself in all things and in all people.

Conclusion
Having a right relationship with God, through Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal happiness.

God’s Holy Spirit, which dwells in us all, produces that sense of peace and comfort; so no matter where or what, don’t be troubled or afraid. Calmness and tranquility smooth over those feelings of being lost or alone, and God’s Holy Spirit is what gives us that sense of fulfillment; all made possible by our Heavenly Lord.

Even though, at times, you may feel lost, lonely and unfulfilled, if you seek Him, and search for Him; He is there. “Seek and you shall find!”

“And when I wake up in the morning, You, O God, are still with me.”

Acceptance of Christ, is your salvation. And when you wake up in the morning, God will still be with you.

Never again will you be lost, lonely or unfulfilled; and never will you be listed as MIA.

Let’s pray;

No comments: