Sunday, May 6, 2007

Both Services from May 6, 2007

***Morning Communion Service***

“The Art of Being a Sinner”
Brian F. Reid
May 6, 2007

Romans 3:9-18

Today, I will try to bridge, our sins, with God’s love and Christ’s death.

Sinning takes skill, ability, talent, flair, aptitude; and everyone has the capability in them to sin – perfectly. Today, we will look at “The Art of Being a Sinner.”

It takes someone special, who can sin, cover it up, turn away from it, and act as if it never ever happened. But, sin changes us and affects so many others.

Some say Sin is necessary, don’t worry about it, and it isn’t our fault that sin exists. Well!

Sin
Sin is moral evil, a transgression of/or a rebellion against God’s laws. It can be described as a perversion of the heart, or simply missing the mark (the mark of excellence – in God’s eyes).

Satan introduced evil into the world. It was the serpent, by means of Eve, who brought sin into the Garden of Eden (way back in Genesis 3), and it was through our inheritance from Adam, that sin still exists in the world. Evil is the absence of good, with Sin being a deliberate separation of ‘mankind’ from the laws of God (through evil).

Mankind was created with a Holy and godly nature, in fellowship with the Lord. But, by means of free will, distrust and unbelief, that, covenant, was broken by us. Sin is that lack of conformity to God’s moral covenant.

Sin is also defined as anything in ‘mankind,’ which does not express, or, is contrary to, the Holy Character of God, the Creator.

So, yes, we are sinful, because of the Great Fall in the Garden of Eden, by Adam and Eve. And, no, we are not responsible for sin being introduced into the world, but, we are responsible for its perpetuation and continuation; for we keep it going. It may not be our fault, that sin exists, but it is through our imperfections, that sin still exists.

Romans 5:12 tells us;
“When Adam sinned, sin entered the entire human race. Adam’s sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned.”

Some people say that sin is necessary for God to express His love and mercy to us. They are simply saying that without sin, there would be no need for God’s mercy or grace. I don’t agree with that. I feel that (even) without sin, God would find a way to show His undying love to us. Sin is not a question of necessity or a need to be, it is all about a broken covenant of love.

“Is sin necessary?” wrong question.
“Is God’s mercy, grace and love necessary?”
Yes, God’s mercy, grace and love is necessary, because we sin.

Some people even say not to worry about sin, because; it is God’s job to forgive; God is so loving, he won’t judge us; sin isn’t so bad – it teaches us valuable lessons; and sin keeps us in touch with the culture around us.

Should we worry about our sins?
God cannot overlook sin. We, sinners will have to answer to God for our sins; no matter how many excuses we make.

We have heard, and maybe even used, some of these excuses for sin.

* No one will know.
* I’ve done more good, today, than bad.
* Just this once won’t matter.
* I’ve been hurting, and this will make me feel better.
* I deserve it.
* I’m not hurting anyone, but myself.

All are untrue! All are justifications for sinning. All are simple excuses to make ourselves feel better.

Some, can sin better and/or easier when alone; others need people to urge them on and to twist that arm

They say;
“Oh I wouldn’t have done that, if only someone was with me to tell me, no.”

“Oh I wouldn’t have done it, if they hadn’t talked me into it.”
This is how we justify our actions and make excuses for our sins. Sadly, they are nothing but lies, that we tell to ourselves (and others); and they have deadly consequences. “For the wages of sin, is death.”

There are Seven Deadly Sins, which all our actions and attitudes are based on.
1. Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the Grace of God (in our lives). It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

2. Envy is the desire to have another’s traits, qualities, status, abilities, or situation. We all, at one time or another, been green with envy.

3. Gluttony is an excessive desire to consume more than that which one requires. This is not just food related.

4. Lust is a very strong craving for the pleasures of the body.

5. Anger is manifested in the individual, who rejects love, and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.

6. Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual.

7. Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work; nothing but laziness.

It is from these 7 vices, that we get into the most trouble. It is from these 7 vices, that we are drawn to sin. It is from these 7 vices, that we gain, our losses. And it is the lack of self-control, where sinning begins.

Sinning requires a good memory; for we must know and remember the lies we tell and stories that cover up our sins.

Sinning requires organization; for we must be able to arrange and control our actions into a systematic plan.

Sinning requires flexibility and adaptability to change and go with the flow, as our sinful-plans are interrupted; and we come up with a plan-B.

Sinning requires nerves of steel; as we sometimes will be confronted about our lies; and we will lie to cover other lies.

Sinning requires taking a chance; sometimes our sins involve other people and we simply must ask them to take part. Often, sin requires us to do things that are out of our ordinary set of behaviors.

Sinning requires a large ego, and a low self-esteem. Sometimes, we think so highly of ourselves that we can justify anything – that takes a very large ego. Other times, our self-worth is so low, that we will stoop and lower ourselves to almost anything; to the lowest depths possible. Sin creates in us, that down-ward spiral of self-disrespect and destruction.

Sinning requires a good knowledge of the rules; for we need to know the rule, in order to break it correctly. We resort to lies, half-truths and total communication shutdown.

Often, we will say things like;
“You didn’t say that.
You didn’t say I couldn’t.
I thought it would be OK.
I thought I was doing right.
Where is that written in the Bible?
Did God really say, You must not eat from any tree in the garden?”

Thus is the Art of Sinning.

It takes someone special, who can sin, cover it up, turn away from it, and act as if it never ever happened.

Sinning takes skill, ability, talent, flair, aptitude; and everyone has the capability in them to sin – perfectly.

Romans 3:23; “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

Bridge to Court
It can be said, that one final sin, put Christ upon the cross. It can be said, that one final sin, cost Jesus His life. It can be said, that one final sin, was the instrument, the apparatus, the mechanism, the catalyst that which an angry God (then) demanded to be appeased.

Was that one, final, sin, yours?

***Image with me, this dream.***

After living, what I felt was a "decent" life; my time on earth, came to the end. I was transported to another time and place.

The first thing I remember, is sitting on a bench, in the waiting room, of what I thought to be a Courthouse. The doors opened, and I was instructed to come in, and have a seat by the defense table.

As I looked around, I saw the "prosecutor." He was a villainous looking man, who snarled, as he stared at me. He definitely was the most evil person, I have ever seen. I sat down and looked to my left and there sat My Attorney; a kind and gentle looking man, whose appearance seemed so familiar to me, that I felt I knew Him.

Just then, the corner door flew open, and there appeared the Judge, in full, flowing, robes. He commanded an awesome presence, as He moved across the room; I couldn't take my eyes off of Him. As He took His seat behind the bench, He said, "Let us begin."

The prosecutor rose and said, "My name is Satan, and I am here to show you why this man belongs in hell." He proceeded to tell of lies that I told, things that I stolen, and in the past, when I cheated others. Satan told of other horrible Perversions, that were once in my life, and the more he spoke, the further down in my seat I sank.

I was so embarrassed, that I couldn't look at anyone, not even my own Attorney; as the Devil told of sins, that, even I, had completely forgotten about.

As upset, as I was, at Satan for telling all these things about me, I was equally upset, at My Attorney, who sat there silently, not offering any form of defense at all. I know I had been guilty of those things, but I had done some good in my life as well - couldn't that at least equal out, part of the harm I'd done?

Satan finished with a fury and said, "This man belongs in hell, he is guilty of all that I have charged, and there is not a person who can prove otherwise.” How true.

When it was His turn, My Attorney, first asked if He might approach the bench. The Judge allowed this, over the strong objection of Satan, and the Judge beckoned Him to come forward.

As my Counselor got up, and started walking, I was then able to see Him in His full splendor and majesty. I realized why He seemed so familiar; this was Jesus, representing me; my Lord and my Savior.

He stopped at the bench and softly said to the Judge, "Hi, Dad," and then He turned to address the court. "Satan was correct in saying that this man had sinned, I won't deny any of these allegations. And, yes, the wage of sin is death, and this man deserves to be punished."

Then, Jesus took a deep breath and turned to His Father with outstretched arms and proclaimed, "However, I died on the cross, so that this person might have eternal life, and he has accepted Me as his Savior, so he is Mine.”

My Lord continued , "His name is written in the Book of Life, and no one can snatch him from Me. Satan still does not understand yet. This man is not to be given justice, but rather mercy."

As Jesus sat down, He quietly paused, looked at His Father and said, "There is nothing else that needs to be done. I have done it all."

The Judge lifted His mighty hand, and slammed the gavel down. The following words bellowed from His lips. "This man is free. The penalty for him, has already been paid in full. Case dismissed."

As my Lord led me away, I could hear Satan ranting and raving, "I won't give up, I will win the next one."

I asked Jesus, as He gave me my instructions of where to go next, "Have you ever lost a case?”

Christ lovingly smiled and said, "Everyone that has come to Me, and asked Me to represent them, has received the very same verdict, as you." ~Paid In Full~ (x2)


Communion is a thankful remembrance of what Christ did on the cross for the sins you have committed. Communion is a reminder that your debt, has been paid; Paid In Full.

***Communion Overview***

The Call to the Lord’s Supper

You, who truly and earnestly repent of your sins, who have love and concern for your neighbors, who intend to lead a life worthy of Christ – draw near with reverence, with faith and with thanksgiving, and take the Supper of the Lord to your comfort.

Come to this sacred table, not because you must, but because you can. Come to testify, not that you are righteous, but that you sincerely love your Lord, and desire to be His true disciples. Come to seek a Presence and pray for a Spirit.

And now that the Supper of the Lord is spread before you, lift your minds and hearts above all selfish fears and cares. Let this Bread and Cup, be to you, the witness and signs of the grace of our Lord, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit.

Before the throne of the Heavenly Father, and the Cross of the Redeemer, we now pray for strength, to know, and do, the Holy Will of God. May our confessions of sins be genuine, as we re-dedicate our lives to Christian obedience and service.

“To the children of faith, God has said, I have swept away your transgressions like a cloud, and your sins like a mist: return to me, for I have redeemed you.”

Let Us Pray;
Dear Lord,
Please forgive us of our sins and set us free from them;
We confess to the sin of pride, the sin of envy, gluttony, lust, anger, greed, laziness and, We confess to the sin of not trusting you.

But, we thank you for your love, mercy and grace. Forgive us of our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. Amen.

The Institution of the Bread

“The Lord Jesus, on the night when He was betrayed, took a loaf of bread, and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said; This is my body, that is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”

Let us also give thanks for the Bread, Let us pray.

(prayer)
(the Bread is served)

“Let us eat this Bread in remembrance of Christ’s sacrifice for us.”

The Institution of the Cup
“In the same way, He took the cup also, after supper, saying, This Cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as you eat this Bread and drink this Cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death, until He comes again.”

Let us also give thanks for the Cup, Let us pray.

(prayer)
(the Cup is served)

“Jesus said, This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for the many, for the forgiveness of sins. Drink this in remembrance that Christ’s blood was shed for you, and be thankful.”

(silence)

Commissioning Hymn

The Benediction

Sin is slavery and bondage, to pain and suffering; and no one ever wants to live a life of pain and suffering. But, sin is a part of our everyday life.

All we can do is try our very best to not sin and seek God’s guidance; that’s all. Some days will be better than others, and tomorrow is always new day; with a fresh start.

For, God keeps no records of wrongs, and grants to us, each and every day, a brand new start; free from the repercussions of the sins we have committed yesterday. Free to begin again; reborn; renewed and pure as snow.

Blessing upon you all – have a wonderful week. Amen & Amen.

***Evening Service - Committment***

First, I want to thank these fine people for sharing their musical gifts with us tonight. Let’s thank them again (applause).

I want to thank them for their commitment. I also want to thank all of you, for being here, and for your commitment.

Those who have shared their talents with us tonight, are committed to glorifying God through music. You, who came to hear that music, are also committed to praising the Lord. I watched as some of you smiled and nodded, keep time with your feet and raised your hands. All these actions, and all this music, really does glorify and praise His Holy Name.

A Commitment is something that takes up our time or energy, an obligation; devotion or dedication, to a cause, person or relationship; a planned arrangement or activity that cannot be avoided – that’s true Commitment is also a covenant.

I am also committed, as I lead the evening, share prayers with you, and bringing a short message.

And together, we show God our commitment to Him; by what we do.

Leviticus 26:9
“The Lord said, I will look on you with favor and make you fruitful and increase your numbers, and I will keep my covenant with you.”

For God made a covenant with our ancestors, long ago. He made a promise and He has not changed His mind, wavered from His promise, or reneged on His word.

In Exodus 19:5-6
God promised this;
“Now if you obey me fully, and keep my covenant, then, out of all the nations (of the world), you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me, a Kingdom of Priests and a Holy Nation…”

God choose our ancestors, not because they were special, and not because they were such a great nation; He chose them, because He loved them, and wanted to lavish, on them, His blessings. But, what must we do, in exchange for this love, given to our ancestors – and now handed down to us?

He wants us to love Him back, to obey His laws; and we are to be His people, and He our God.

Genesis 17:7
“I will establish my covenant, as an everlasting covenant, between me and you, and your descendants after you, for the generations to come, to be your God, and the God of your descendants after you.”

God simply wants our Commitment.

Some say, that as Christians, we have an obligation to be committed to Christ.

Well, I say; through a personal sense of commitment to God, we show that we are Christians. I say that God’s commitment of love, creates in us, a renewed sense of well-being and produces a love, that we then, share with others. I say, that the commitment of our Holy and Heavenly Father is from everlasting to everlasting, for those who keep His covenant.

Our God has committed, to never stop doing good, for we, His children; but what does it mean to be committed to Him.

Commitment to Christ, is not something you do, but something you feel; right here within the heart – because that’s where our faith develops. Faith is believing in something that we can’t see or touch; and sometimes (often) understand. Commitment to Christ means commitment to the faith we develop; and the development of our faith, requires commitment. One is dependant upon the other.

(Poem)

***My Commitment as a Christian***

(Written by a young African pastor and tacked on the wall of his house.)

"I'm part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I'm a disciple of His. I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still.

My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure. I'm finished with low living, sight walking, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap living, and dwarfed goals.

I no longer need pre-eminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk by patience, lift by prayer, and labor by power.

My pace is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way rough, my companions few, my guide reliable, my mission clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.

I won't give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, preached up for the cause of Christ. I am a disciple of Jesus. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me. And when He comes for His own, He will have no problems recognizing me - my banner will be clear!"
___________________________________________

The author of this poem, has a strong and a true commitment to God, to Christ our Savior, and to the Holy Spirit which dwells within him.

You, like him, can develop your own personal, statement of commitment. You, like him, can take comfort in the fact that Christ is your Savior. You, like him, can stand up, speak out and praise and glorify God, in all that you do and say. You can show your commitment, to God, by showing your commitment, to others.

Let us pray;

Dear Lord,
We thank you for the life you have given us to live. We thank you for the many blessings of that life. And, we thank you for your continued love, mercy and grace. We commit ourselves to you now, to praise, honor and glorify You; in all that we do.

Be with us, as we depart this place, watch over us daily, and guide us always. Amen

No comments: