Sunday, April 1, 2007

The Conversation

“The Ride”

I may be just a lowly donkey,
But I’m proud of what I’ve done.
To take Jesus through the city,
The Messiah has come.

They all shouted and they waved,
For me, not so much;
But because he had come,
To save us all, “Hosanna!”

The people screamed His name,
And they knew he was special.
Why after his ride,
Would they turn against him?

All this week I have struggled
I felt his agony
I know he has a job to do
To save us all, “Hosanna!”

The cheers were changed to jeers,
As they mocked him.
They taunted this great man,
And soon laugh at what had been done.

I may be just a lowly donkey,
But I’m proud of what I’ve done.
To take Jesus through the city,
The Messiah has come.

(Brian Reid, 2007)

Message: The Conversation

Greetings.

Greetings, fellow traveler.

Lovely day.

Yes, most glorious.

Are you here for the Passover Festival?

Oh, yes. But I am new to this area.

Where do you travel from?

Jericho; before that, many places – Canaan, Galilee, Bethlehem.

Seems like you travel a great amount.

I go where I am sent; I do what’s asked of me.

Not many can say that about their life

I like to think of myself as an example.

True, you are.

And you. What is it that you do?

Not so much. I do what I can with my limitations.

Limitations?

Yes, for my sight is not what it once was. I used to work with my hands, now, I only hold them out, for people to put coins in.

Your family?

I have no family, I am all alone.

Why are you here today?

The Passover Festival.

Is that all?

No, not really.

Tell me, son, why are you really in Jerusalem today?

I have come to see Him!

Him, who?

The one they call the Teacher.

Why would you want to see a teacher?

He’s more than a teacher. He is wonderful, counselor. He is called the Mighty God, Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. He’s the Great Messiah, which has been prophesied for centuries!

Who is this man, what is his name?

“It’s Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee.”

And why are you so interested in Him?

Well, it’s not only me, all the rest of these people await a savior and a deliverer.

A savior and a deliverer, from what?

From a life of sin, from heartache and trails.

And the Messiah will save and deliver you?

Yes, he is sent from the Father God.

How do you know all this?

It is written in the Old Testament.

Where in the Old Testament?

Many places, Exodus, Numbers, Deuteronomy - for many people speak of the coming Messiah.

He is foretold?

Yes, by Moses, by the prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, and David – and others – many knew he was coming.

How did they know?

Because God sent messages and signs, of His arrival, through the prophets and others.

How do you know all this if you cannot see to read?

I may not be able to see, but I listen. For the message is loud and clear – if you choose to hear it.

So, you are a believer?

Yes, I believe, and I have faith that one day I will meet the Great Messiah.

So, why are you here, today, in the City of Jerusalem?

It was prophesized that he would be here today and ride triumphantly into the city.

Where would you hear such a thing?

It is written in Zechariah 9:9;
“Rejoice greatly, O people of Zion! Shout in triumph, O people of Jerusalem! Look, your king is coming to you. He is righteous and victorious, yet He is humble, riding on a donkey – even a donkey’s colt.”

Why should the people rejoice? What is so triumphant of His entry into the city?

The Messiah wants to ride into Jerusalem in such way that there is no doubt that He is God’s Anointed King.

Why would He choose to do this?

When words are not listened to, actions send a clear message.

What message?

His entry into the city is to announce that His time had come for action.

But the people were expecting a great conqueror?

Yes, but Jesus is a messenger of peace. The prophecies tell us that the King of Israel would appear without pomp or ceremony.

Why a donkey – a colt no less?

The young colt, which no one has ridden, is a link and a reminder to our sacrificial system where we offer a clean, unspoiled offspring to our Lord. When the Messiah rides into the city, upon that donkey colt, He will be honoring and highlighting those offerings to God.

I don’t think I fully understand all of this.

When Jesus enters Jerusalem on that donkey colt, He will be affirming His Messiah Royalty, as well as His humility and humanity.

Are you saying that the Messiah can be both fully human and fully divine?

Yes, you are beginning to understand.

So it would seem.

I’m glad we talked.

Can you tell me about the Palm Branches?

Yes, as Jesus rides along the processional, the people will sing His praises and wave the branches, shouting; ‘Hosanna, Hosanna, save us now, Lord.’

What else does your prophecies predict?

The crowd will also shout; “Bless the king who comes in the name of the Lord! Bless the coming kingdom of our ancestor David. Praise God for the Son of David. Bless the one that comes in the name of the Lord. Peace in heaven and glory and praise in the highest heaven.”

Can you explain why He chooses to do this right here, right now?

God has had this planned for a long, long time. The coming Messiah, Jesus, has been foretold as far back as the time of Moses. Jesus is the fulfillment of God’s promises from centuries ago.

Jesus’ ride will be a glorious act of defiance. It will be a breath-taking thing to witness this man, who has a heavy price on His head by the religious leaders of the day, to deliberately ride into the city in such a manner, that every eye will be fixed upon Him.

It will be His deliberate claim to be the King – the Great Messiah. He will ride on a donkey colt, and in Palestine, the lowly beast is noble. Only in war do kings ride upon such animals as horses. When a king comes in peace, they ride upon a donkey – for Jesus will come as Prince of Peace and the King of Love.

Pardon, my Lord, the donkey is ready. It’s time to begin the events of the week.

Who, where?

Young man, I have many things to do, I must leave you.

Are you the Messiah?

Come, let me touch you.

I don’t know what to say.

Say nothing, for you faith has healed your blindness.

Thank you, Lord.

Come with me and watch the parade.

How can I ever repay you?

Believe! Believe in what I will do this week!

(End)

Communion Preparation Song

Ray Boltz, "Watch The Lamb"

Walking on the road to Jerusalem, the time had come to sacrifice again.
My two small sons, they walk beside me on the road,
The reason that they came, was to watch the lamb.

And they said, “daddy, daddy, what will we see there?
There's so much that we don't understand.”

So I told them of Moses and father Abraham,
Then I said “dear children watch the lamb.
There will be so many in Jerusalem today, we must be sure the lamb doesn't run away.”

And I told them of Moses and father Abraham,
Then I said, “dear children watch the lamb.”

When we reached the city, I knew something must be wrong,
There were no joyful worshipers, no joyful worship songs.

And I stood there with my children, in the midst of angry men,
Then I heard the crowd cry out, “Let's crucify Him!”

We tried to leave the city, but we could not get away,
Forced to play in this drama, a part I did not wish to play.
Why upon this day, were men condemned to die,
Why were we standing here, where soon they would pass by.

I looked and said, “even now they come,"
The first one cried for mercy, the people gave him none,
The second one was violent, and he was arrogant and loud.
I still recall his angry voice, screaming at the crowd.

Then someone said “there's Jesus,” I scarce believed my eyes,
A man so badly beaten, he barely looked alive.

Blood poured from His body, from the thorns upon His brow,
Running down the cross, falling to the ground.

I watched as He struggled, I watched Him when He fell,
The cross came down upon His back.
The crowd began to yell.

In that moment I felt such agony, in that moment I felt such loss,
‘Till a Roman soldier grabbed my arm and screamed, “You, carry His cross!”

At first I tried to resist him, then his hand reached for his sword,
So I knelt down and took, the cross from the Lord.

I put it on my shoulder, and we started down the street,
The blood that he'd been shedding, was running down my cheek.

They led us to Golgotha.
They drove nails, deep in His feet and hands,

Yet upon the cross I heard Him pray
“Father, please forgive them.”

Never have I seen such love, in any other eyes,

“Into thy hands, I commit my spirit”
He prayed, and then He died.

I stood for what seemed like years, I'd lost all sense of time,
Until I felt two little hands, holding tight to mine.

My children stood there weeping, I heard the oldest say,
“Father please forgive us, the lamb ran away.

Daddy, daddy, what have we seen here today?
There's so much that we don't understand,”

So I took them in my arms,
And we turned and faced the cross,
Then I said “Dear children, watch the lamb.”
(End)

Holy Communion

The Call to the Lord’s Supper

You, who truly and earnestly repent of your sins, who have love and concern for your neighbors, who intend to lead a life worthy of Christ – draw near with reverence, with faith and with thanksgiving, and take the Supper of the Lord to your comfort.

Come to this sacred table, not because you must, but because you can. Come to testify, not that you are righteous, but that you sincerely love your Lord, and desire to be His true disciples. Come, not because in your frailty and sin you stand in constant need of heaven’s mercy and help, not to express an opinion, but to seek a Presence and pray for a Spirit.

And now that the Supper of the Lord is spread before you, lift your minds and hearts above all selfish fears and cares. Let this Bread and Cup, be to you, the witness and signs of the grace of our Lord, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit.

The Invitation

We have come together today, in obedience to our Lord’s command, to share the Lord’s Supper. We invite all who love the Lord, who have repented of sin, and who have decided to follow Christ in newness of life, to come to this Table. To its blessing and fellowship, all disciples of the Lord, who confessed Him before people and wish to serve Him, may come. This not our table, but the Table of our Lord.

Before the throne of the heavenly Father, and the Cross of the Redeemer, pray for strength, to know, and do, the Holy Will of God. May your confessions of sins be genuine, as you dedicate your lives to Christian obedience and service.


Prayer of Confession and Thanksgiving
Isaiah 44:22
“To the children of faith, God has said, I have swept away your transgressions like a cloud, and your sins like a mist: return to me, for I have redeemed you.”

Let Us Pray;
Dear Lord,
Please forgive us of our sins and set us free from them;
We confess to the sin of pride,
We confess to the sin of envy,
We confess to the sin of anger,
We confess to the sin of self-indulgence,
We confess to the sin of impurity,
We confess to the sin of anxiety,
and, We confess to the sin of not trusting you.
We thank you for your love, mercy and grace.
Forgive us of our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Amen.

The Institution of the Bread

“The Lord Jesus, on the night when He was betrayed, took a loaf of bread, and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said; This is my body, that is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”


“Let us eat this Bread in remembrance of Christ’s sacrifice for us.”


The Institution of the Cup
“In the same way, He took the cup also, after supper, saying, This Cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as you eat this Bread and drink this Cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death, until He comes again.”


“Jesus said, This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for the many for the forgiveness of sins. Drink this in remembrance that Christ’s blood was shed for you, and be thankful.”


The Benediction

“And so, into God gracious keeping we would commit each other. May the Lord make His face to shine upon us and be gracious unto us. May the Lord lift up the light of His countenance upon us, and give us peace.”

Blessing upon you all, and Amen.

No comments: